MAS Announces 10th Annual MASterworks Jury and Calls for Nominations
February 4th, 2010, 3:46 pm
The Municipal Art Society has convened a panel of renowned architects, developers and design experts to serve on its 2010 MASterworks Awards Committee. Launched in 2001, the MASterworks Awards celebrate new development in New York City by honoring excellence in architecture and urban design.
The 2010 Awards Committee members are Vishaan Chakrabarti, Marc Holliday Professor, Columbia University GSAPP and Founding Principal, VCDC, Thomas Woltz, principal, Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, Paola Antonelli, senior curator of architecture and design at MoMA, Toshiko Mori, Robert P. Hubbard Professor in the Practice of Architecture at Harvard University Graduate School of Design and principal, Toshiko Mori Architect, and Alan Suna, developer and CEO, Silvercup Studios.
MASterworks Awards honor architecture projects completed within the last year in the following six categories:
• Best New Building for outstanding new design;
• Best Restoration for the restoration of a historically significant commercial, residential or institutional building and/or publicly accessible lobby;
• Best Storefront Design for innovative design that contributes to street life;
• Neighborhood Catalyst for a project that has been a catalyst for change in its neighborhood;
• Best Privately-Owned Public Space for an outstanding public space created as part of a private development; and,
• Best Green Design Initiative for the renovation of a building that integrates sustainable design principles.
Winners will be announced at a ceremony to take place in the spring of 2010. The program is sponsored by Helaba, Landesbank Hessen-Thuringen, the international banking and investment group.
“The MASterworks Awards celebrate the year’s ingenuity in architecture and urban design by honoring contemporary projects that significantly contribute to the urban fabric of New York City — projects that influence the way we live, work, and experience the city. We are honored to have this distinguished committee to deliberate on this yearʼs MASterworks nominees,” said Vin Cipolla, president of MAS.
To nominate a project, or for more information on the awards, click here. The deadline for entries is Sunday, February 28, 2010.