Jane’s Walk 2013
Jane’s Walk NYC
“Cities have the capability of providing something for everybody, only because, and only when, they are created by everybody”– Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities.
On Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5, 2013 thousands of New Yorkers came together for Jane’s Walk NYC – an annual series of 100+ FREE guided walks (and bike rides!) throughout New York’s five boroughs. Registration is NOT required. Whether you choose to stroll through neighborhoods you love or discover new neigborhoods you’ve never visited, you’ll enjoy this international program created to commemorate the life and legacy of urbanist Jane Jacobs.
Scroll down to view the walk schedule. Please note that We are no longer accepting new walk submissions.
Learn more about Jane’s Walk in other countries and cities.
Find a Walk by Area or Topic
Tips and Important Information
- Arrive a few minutes early for your Jane’s Walk at the designed meeting location.
- Meeting locations can be located using Google Maps and the MTA Trip Planner is helpful for transit information.
- All Jane’s Walks NYC will proceed rain or shine.
- Check our Jane’s Walk listings before departing on Saturday and Sunday just in case there are any last-minute changes.
- Why not join multiple walks in one day and throughout the weekend?
- Ask questions and offer insights–Jane’s Walk works best when there is a friendly dialogue throughout. Introduce yourself to other walkers, volunteers and hosts. Be curious! Everyone hosting a Jane’s Walk is a volunteer and passionate about the city.
- Follow the action and join the conversation on Twitter using #janeswalknyc. Take pictures and share via email at email@example.com.
- Wear sensible shoes and dress appropriately for the weather. Jane’s Walks vary–some are just one building’s interior; while others are a solid two hours and 40 blocks long.
- Bring friends and family to enjoy this special weekend!
- Please note: Walk details are subject to change.
- Forward this list to your friends and family. Post on your Facebook and Twitter!
No posts found
A big thank you to all our Jane’s Walk hosts, and to our sponsors – CEMUSA, Time Out New York, New York City Department of Cultral Affairs.