Established in 2001, the MASterworks Awards pay tribute to projects completed in the previous year that exemplify excellence in architecture and urban design. From iconic buildings to neighborhood gems, our list of past winners includes the likes of Weeksville Heritage Center, Manhattan District 1/2/5 Garage & Salt Shed, Adams Street Library, McCarren Pool and Bathhouse, the Tenement Museum, the TKTS Booth, El Barrio Bait Station, the High Bridge, and the Gowanus Canal Sponge Park.
View photos from the 2023 MASterworks Awards ceremony on Flickr.
All nominated projects must be located in New York City and have been completed in the previous year. Projects can be nominated in up to two of the following categories:
- Best New Building for outstanding architectural design
- Best Urban Landscape for a new or revitalized open space that contributes to livability and resilience
- Best Restoration for a project that expertly enhances the original qualities of a significant historic building or structure
- Best Adaptive Reuse for a project that demonstrates exceptional creativity in adaptive reuse of an existing building or structure
- Best New Infrastructure for distinctive design in public service projects
- Best New Urban Amenity for an addition to the built environment that contributes to a more livable city
- Staten Island Animal Care Center – Best New Building
- David Geffen Hall – Best Restoration
- Mercury Store – Best Adaptive Reuse
- Powerhouse Arts – Best New Urban Amenity
- MTA – Grand Central Madison & 42nd Street Corridor Connection – Best New Infrastructure
- Battery Playscape – Best Urban Landscape