Established in 2001, the MASterworks Awards pay tribute to projects completed in the previous year that exemplify excellence in architecture and urban design. From iconic buildings to hidden neighborhood gems, our list of past winners includes the likes of Weeksville Heritage Center, Manhattan District 1/2/5 Garage & Salt Shed, the Fulton Center, McCarren Pool and Bathhouse, the Tenement Museum, the TKTS Booth, El Barrio Bait Station, the High Bridge, and the Gowanus Canal Sponge Park.
The call for nominations for the 2023 MASterworks Design Awards will open in June 2023. All nominated projects must be located in New York City and have been completed in 2022. Projects can be nominated in up to two of the following categories:
- Best New Building for outstanding architectural design
- Best Urban Landscape for a new or revitalized open space that contributes to livability and resilience
- Best Restoration for a project that expertly enhances the original qualities of a significant historic building or structure
- Best Adaptive Reuse for a project that demonstrates exceptional creativity in adaptive reuse of an existing building or structure
- Best New Infrastructure for distinctive design in public service projects
- Best New Urban Amenity for an addition to the built environment that contributes to a more livable city
Every year, MAS convenes an esteemed jury of architects, designers, preservationists, scholars, and critics to select the winners of the MASterworks Awards. Past jury members have included Justin Davidson, Architecture and Classical Music Critic, New York Magazine; Bjarke Ingels, Founding Partner, BIG; Alexandra Lange, Architecture Critic, Curbed; Justin Garrett Moore, then-Executive Director, NYC Public Design Commission; Benjamin Prosky, Executive Director, AIA New York / Center for Architecture; and Rafael Viñoly, Rafael Viñoly Architects.
The 2022 MASterworks Jury included the following acclaimed individuals:
Angel Ayón, Principal, AYON Studio
Debbie Millman, Host, Design Matters
Pascale Sablan, FAIA, NOMA, LEED AP, Senior Associate Adjaye Associates, Founder & Executive Director Beyond the Built Environment LLC
Tina Vaz, MAS Board of Directors and Head, Meta Open Arts
Sara Zewde, PLA, Principal, Studio Zewde; Assistant Professor of Practice, Harvard University.
Related content:News + ReportsEvents + ToursHistory
Northeast Bronx YMCA – Best New Building
Brooklyn Public Library – Best Restoration
Adams Street Library – Best Adaptive Reuse
Fountain of the Fairs Mist Garden – Best New Urban Amenity
Moynihan Train Hall – Best New Infrastructure
Little Island – Best Urban Landscape