Celebrating the City: 2019 MAS Awards
Honoring Excellence in Art and Architecture
2019 Brendan Gill Prize Honoree
Crime + Punishment
New York City filmmaker, Stephen Maing, is awarded the 2019 Brendan Gill Award for his remarkably powerful documentary, Crime + Punishment. Maing’s film is a moving and carefully observed work that examines policing in NYC from the perspective of courageous officers who risk everything when they decide to expose racially discriminatory practices by the NYPD. The film reveals the complexity of our most pressing urban matters, from the day-to-day demands of being a police officer to community-driven protests in response to highly charged issues. We see what happens when 12 officers break the infamous “wall of silence.” In this captivating cinematic investigation, we gain a deeper understanding of the everyday problems that result in disastrous consequences for communities of color. Amidst a class action lawsuit over illegal policing quotas, Crime + Punishment unfolds as a masterful example of filmmaking, both in craft and content. It was winner of Sundance’s Special Award for Social Impact.
The Brendan Gill Jury selected this extraordinary documentary from a highly competitive field of nominations. MAS honors and celebrates the work of gifted filmmaker Stephen Maing.
2019 MASterworks Awards Honorees
Best New Building
Columbia University: The Forum
Best Urban Landscape
Hunter’s Point South Waterfront Park, Phase II
Best Adaptive Reuse
Sunset Park Interim Library
Best New Urban Amenity
Best New Infrastructure
2019 MASterworks Awards Jury
- Barry Bergdoll, Meyer Schapiro Professor of Art History and Archaeology, Columbia University and Curator, Department of Architecture and Design, MoMA
- J. Yolande Daniels, Co-founding Partner, studioSUMO, Visiting Associate Professor, MIT School of Architecture and Eero Saarinen Visiting Professor, Yale University School of Architecture
- Benjamin Prosky, Assoc. AIA, Executive Director, AIA New York / Center for Architecture
- Suchi Reddy, Founder, Reddymade
- Anne Van Ingen, Chair, Preservation League of New York State
Contact us at email@example.com or (212) 935-3960.